Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I Can't Sleep, So...

...I'm going to post the rest of my Poor Girl story. I was going to wait until tomorrow to do it, but... ::shrugs:: Now is just as good as time as any.


~*~*~A Cynical Fairy Tale part II~*~*~

The following day Prince Charming appeared right on time with Beautiful Steed's reins in his hand. And, as was fully expected, he fell to one knee and begged for Poor Girl's hand in marriage. Poor Girl laughed and told him what a silly fellow he was--and that he should get up off his knee--the ground was wet! Of course she would marry him! He hesitated. There was one condition, he said. His mother wanted to taste her cooking--she could cook, couldn't she? Not that she would ever have to, but it was a thing with his mother.

Of course she could cook! And she was very willing to prove it to his mother. Prince Charming, who was very relieved, raised himself from the wet grass and went happily along his way--but only after having made a promise to bring his mother to dinner the next night.

As soon as he was out of sight Poor Girl took off running as Poor Girl's never should. But--after all--she did have reason.

She had only a little over 27 hours to learn to cook.

Somewhere in the garden there was a rake left by a forgetful gardener--or perhaps it was Fate--one never knows with such things. Unfortunately, Poor Girl did not see the rake. But she found it. Or rather her foot found it--but her face was a close second. Luckily Poor Girl was able to jump up after only a couple of hours, and she continued running for the kitchen and the girl inside cooking--Lassie.

The next night a delicious dinner was served. Everything was beautifully prepared. This was due largely, and in fact wholly, to Lassie who had prepared the meal. She had also come up with the idea, after Poor Girl's many failed attempts at simply cracking eggs, to tell Prince Charming's Mother that Poor Girl was feeling so poorly after her brush with death that Lassie had prepared the dinner for Her Majesty. Before this could be done, however, after only the first bite, Prince Charming's Mother ordered him to marry the girl who had prepared the meal. When it was pointed out that Lassie had cooked the dinner and not Poor Girl, due to her unfortunate accident, Prince Charming's Mother would not relent. "I could not possibly have a girl as clumsy as that for a daughter. Besides, she looks ghastly with that welt on her head!"

Imagine Poor Girl's dismay when she heard Prince Charming say; "You are quite right, Mother. We could not possibly have a clumsy girl in this family. And she does look terribly ghastly with that welt."

"Look at her trying to hide it behind her hair!" His Mother was a bit too honest for dinner conversation, but it couldn't be helped just then. "Ridiculously foolish of her!" Her son answered back.

The very next night Poor Girl watched as Prince Charming walked down the isle with Lassie. At first Poor Girl thought she might have a broken heart, but she had to change her mind when she saw the back of the wedding program. It read:

CONGRATULATIONS TO PRINCE AND LASSIE

Poor Girl laughed to herself as she walked away.

They were obviously meant for each other.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The moral of this story?
I was once told that men are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken. Or they're dead. (I know, I know--a parking space can't die. But my aunt thinks they can, so let's not argue.)
Seriously, though--I guess a good moral would be that people and situations are rarely what they seem. Keep looking. Sooner or later--you'll see.

"Don't believe everything you hear, and only *half* of what you see."

~*~Tracy Marie Therese Robinson~*~
*~March 29th, 2003

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

::winks:: I hope y'all enjoyed it.

Um--no news on my dad yet. Things are the same now as they were when I last posted. Thanks for the prayers.

2 comments:

Little Lizzie said...

I can't sleep either. But, maybe I just haven't tried enough.... I am too tired to read your story though. I don't think I would be able to comprehend any of it. AND my stomach is growling. AND my jaw is annoying me AND... okay okay... I will stop complaining. But, it is two fifteen in the morning and I...I...I... I don't know... umm...

Goodnight.

::falls onto the floor in a deep sleep::

Unknown said...

I think that "A Cynical Fairy Tale " is the perfect title for this story.

You seem, my dear, to have a very bleak outlook on life..... it isn't very uplifting.

In other words, it isn't full of BS. I, you see, DO use acronyms.