Saturday, December 17, 2005

Life Saving Blankets--With Mary's Help

I went out to the Nolans' house last night. Andrea had rented another Indian movie, and we were getting together to watch it. I was running a little late because Mary wanted to ride with me. It was getting confusing trying to figure out where I would meet up with Mary, so she said she would just drive out there herself. I almost agreed, but then I decided that was silly. There was no reason to take two cars out.

We finally got out there, and watched the weirdest Indian movie ever. Actually--no, there are probably weirder movies. But this one was just...terrible. It was called 'Asoka', and it was sad, and it was really, really long, and don't ever watch it 'cause it's weird.

After the movie some of us went outside and talked about how weird it was, and some of us stayed inside and talked about how weird it was. Then everybody went outside to talk about how weird it was, and how much more we liked 'Lagaan', and then we all went back inside--and talked about other things.

I was tired and wanted to leave, but I didn't want to make Mary leave. Oh, but then I decided I wasn't that nice of a sister, and told to her come on because I wanted to go. She of course took about two minutes longer than I did to say 'goodbye', so I was standing by the door telling her come on.

We had finally left, and had gone about 1/4 of a mile when we remembered we'd forgotten some quilts back at the Nolans' that we were supposed to give to my sister Kelly. I didn't want to go back, because I was tired, and it would just take more time, but Mary said, "Oh, just go get them...Just back up the whole way." Well, Mary's goofy, and for some reason I listen to her, so I backed up almost all of the way back to the house.

Pretty soon Mary was back in the car with lots of blankets, which she stuffed in the back, and we were once again driving down the road.

About two miles down the road I saw a truck on the side of the road. I slowed down as I passed it because I thought it was Marcy's truck. That was when I saw two people standing in front of it, whom I thought were Marcy and Anthony, but I realized the truck--although the same make and model as Marcy's--was green instead of black. But I also realized that the truck had been wrecked. I stopped the car and backed up. That was when I realized it was Abby, a girl I've known for years, who is also a good friend of Ginny's.

I jumped out of my car and ran over to her, asking what had happened. She just kept saying, "We're just fine, Tracy. We're just fine, Tracy." She said it over and over again, which worried me because I knew it was a sign of shock. I was hugging her, and I saw the guy she was with was leaning over the hood of his car. "Who is this?" I asked. "Oh," she said. "This is Matt. (Don't hold me to that 'cause I think it may have been Mike.)" I was *shocked* because this kid of about 16 years old--standing next to his dad's totalled truck--straightens up, turns and looks at me, sticks out his hand and says, "Hi. I'm Matt (Mike?). It's nice to meet you."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. "I'm Tracy," I said. "It's nice to meet you, too. Are you okay??"
He said he was fine, and Abby was behind me still saying the same thing to Mary. I turned back to her and made sure she could move everything. She was fine! So was he! No even any apparent cuts or bruises. I couldn't believe it.

I asked Abby what had happened. They were driving down the gravel road, and they had washboarded. Then the truck flipped. Then they got out of the car. Abby said it all happened about ten minutes before we got there, and that she had called her parents. A few minutes later her parents pulled up. Her mom got out of the car, and I heard her whisper "Jesus!" It broke my heart because I knew she was remembering getting the phone call a few years ago telling her that her son, Abby's older brother, had been killed in a car accident. After making sure that everyone was okay, Mary and I got back in the car and pulled away.

It was very quiet my car at first. Then I said, "Wow. If we had left just a few minutes before...."
Then Mary said, "If we hadn't gone back to get the blankets...."

Yeah. And if Mary hadn't been with me, I *wouldn't* have gone back to get the blankets. Not only could I have been involved as well, but Abby and Matt--who were amazingly intact--may have been hurt after all.

My grandmother has always told me to carry a blanket in my car during the winter. "You never know when your car might break down....Having a blanket could save your life."

17 comments:

Little Lizzie said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that! That is so scary! That gave me the goosebumps!

Tracy said...

Yeah. Scared me, too. ;)

Disciple said...

What does “washboarded” mean?
Odd. I never heard of carrying blankets in cars.

This kind of piety makes me very skeptical!

Anonymous said...

That's so sad.
I'm glad they were okay. Why do boys have to be so stupid when they drive?
I feel so bad for Sandy.
I can only imagine what was going through her head, when she got that call.
I still remember that day when Josh died, like it was yesterday.

Anonymous said...

You have never heard of that, John?
My parents have always told me that.
I don't have one in my truck right now, so I should go get one.

Anonymous said...

Let this story be a lesson to us all! You should never, NEVER watch a weird Indian movie out at the Nolan's and then go home without stopping first to go back and get the blankets you forgot.

Anonymous said...

LoL! I'll remember that.

Disciple said...

Oh.

Why does everyone think the boy was driving?
Tracy didn't say he was.

Disciple said...

Tracy’s pious story reminds me of something I read about Pope John Paul II as a priest.
He was supposed to fill in for another priest, so he had to travel by train to the parish, but at the last minute he was unable to go.
So priest no. 3 went in his place and the train crashed.
The priest lost an arm.
I think the reader was supposed to open his jaw with awe that God saved the future Pope from a train crash so that he could become Pope and have both his arms to wave at everybody.
But my jaw didn’t open.
How would the one-armed priest have felt? Was he just a piece of expendable dirt to be used as a stepping-stone for another to become Pope?
And, why didn’t God just stop the train from crashing instead of making everything so complicated?
If I, a simple human being, can think of a simple solution, why can’t God, who is omnipotent?

Little Lizzie said...

Because, He is so omnipotent that you can not see his plan in all of that. You are thinking as a simple human being... you are not thinking as an omnipotent God. You see?

A Worm and No Man said...

::points bony finger in Moses-like self-righteosness::

Let this be a lesson to you all in charity!!! Practice charity and unselfishness in all things and God will reward you by bringing good to both you and your fellow man. But selfishness causes needless suffering to all.

Lo! I have spoken.

Disciple said...

So Lizzie, you're saying I'm supposed to see that I don't see. Hmmm.

[Want’s to break Priestling’s bony finger]
What the hell has charity and unselfishness to do with anythin?.
I was once pious and judgemental too, but I soon learned that it’s every man for himself if one is to survive!
[Caresses beard wisely]

Restless Native said...

::pulls Priestling's and Disciple's underwear over their heads::

::laughs::

::loses fingernail in biting incident::

Disciple said...

Would you quit fiddling with my underwear, please?!

Disciple said...

It’s Priestling who has Restlessnative’s fingernail in his mouth, by the way!

Tracy said...

::laughs::

Little Lizzie said...

Ch.. Whatever, Mary! The world couldn't go on without you!