Monday, December 12, 2005

The London Murders: Jace arrives

The night was cold and black. Just like his coffee. American detective Jace Buntley stood at the pier of London’s East Quay, watching as his ship sailed off into the darkness. The distant ringing of buoys sounded in his ears, and the moonlight pierced eerily through thickening clouds. It seemed bizarre, as if this was all just part of a dream; part of a bad murder mystery. Yet it was real, as real as the pain heavy in his heart.
Jace sighed and looked down into his coffee mug. Cold and black, like the night. Like his soul. Like… he was startled as a sharp voice broke the stillness.
"eigh there, fellow! Are you Mister Buntley, the American?"
"Yes, I am indeed. And whom, may I ask, are you?"
"Name’s Davis, Davis Nolder! Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Buntley! I’d say just about the whole South Side of London’s been awaitin’ your arrival! Pardon the Police Chief, he’d a been ‘ere himself, but Bangers an’ Mash! if there wasn’t another murder scare tonight! He’s clear on the other side of the city! I’m to take you to your ‘otel room, sir. Coach’s waitin’ sir."
"Well then, let’s go ahead. Pleased to meet you, Mr Nolder."
Jace shook the Londoner’s hand as they both moved off the pier. As the detective entered the interior of the coach, he reflected on the turn of events that had brought him across the Atlantic and back into the country to which he’d sworn he never would return.
It had been almost 8 months ago in March when the news first reached New York about the brutal murders in London. The systematic murders of young, eligible, beautiful Catholic girls on their way home from midnight masses. The first murders had been a shock, as much from the grisly manner of death as of the sickening message left by the killer.
Their names had been Eliza and Verga, German transfer students on a 9-month hiatus to London. The Police report had named them feisty youngsters, but 16 years old, and sassy. Their deaths had come as a shock, but also as semi-relief for their foster family in London. The father, Howdy Redder, had already gone deaf since their arrival. Though they were beautiful and full of life, they were also full of impertinence, and all too ready to share it. But nothing warranted the gruesome fate they encountered one fateful evening.
When the police found their bodies, or more accurately, what was left of their bodies, there was not a single recognizable feature to be found. In fact, it was just too horrible to recount without causing scandal, so Jace Buntley skipped to the next memory.
The message from the killer had been drawn on a nearby wall in the victims’ own blood, and merely said: "JACK THE RIPPERGER". This sickening note was the only clue Scotland Yard possessed. For indeed, Scotland Yard had been called in to handle this case. It wasn’t so much that the Londoner’s couldn’t handle it, as it was that every single member on the Police Force just happened to be Anglican. Jace Buntley didn’t care. He had been Catholic, once, but that was before….
Suddenly, a sharp jolt jolted him out of his reminiscence. The coach had driven over a rut in the cobblestone street.
"Sorry sir, didn’t see that one!" Came the muffled voice of Davis Nolder from the driver’s seat. “Next time I’ll take a shorter swig from the bottle!” It was just as well. Jace didn’t want to torture himself with the memories of a former life in London, a life with a beautiful young girl by the name of Rosie Tracer.
Rosie had been an intern with Scotland Yard then, on her senior year in the Scottish School of Spies and Sleuths, or S4 for short. S4 was known for graduating the most gifted and talented English detectives in the nation, and Rosie had been at the top of her class. It wasn’t until much later that her secret was discovered: she was psychic.
Yes, it was this ability that had placed her in the most secret division of Scotland Yard, and gave her exclusive rights to the most secret of secrets. There were secrets everywhere, and yet, she had insisted upon sharing them with only one man, a man for whom there were no secrets…
Jace Buntley lit up a faggot and breathed deep. He blew the smoke out of the coach window and wondered just where fate would take him next… after his hotel room, of course. And after the bar. And then after the loo, shower, loo again, and bedroom floor. After fate had taken him to all those places, THEN he wondered where next. Also, he wondered what Rosie might be doing at this very minute, what she might be thinking…

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really belongs on Irishbrats, Tracy's blog is not a story telling forum. It's all about her ridiculous M&M's...

Tracy said...

Not a story telling forum? ::laughs knowingly::

You have no idea.

Restless Native said...

Okay, no more idiotic comments about being the "first poster" or the fourth poster, or anything equally stupid or unrelated. I cannot stand wading through a post with HUGE amounts of comments, trying to find those that actually relate to the story, only to find that about 3 have ANYTHING to do with the actual post. And of those, 2 are vapid and banal.
"Comments" are not to be used as your personal spamming medium. Please use it to add thoughtful insight to the story, praise for the author's intelligence and charm, or constructive criticism veiled in humor and dry wit.

If you cannot meet any of the above critera, DO NOT POST A COMMENT.

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Thank you. Jack the Ripperger awaits.

Tracy said...

::clasps hands over mouth and *doesn't* laugh::

Tracy said...

I just want to be sure everyone is clear on the fact that the British people refer to cigarettes as "#######". ::giggles:: Just to be sure....

Nice job on the British terminology throughout the chapter, Dan. I was highly amused.

Anonymous said...

The psychic got her place in the most secret of secrets department because everyone knew she already knew what all the secrets were anyway.

Aren't I a genius?

Tracy said...

::laughs:: You hush up, Brown Eyed Vortex. I *of course* knew you would know what it was, you little smarty, so I wasn't speaking to *you*. :b`'

Anonymous said...

I'll leave all the big words and smart talkin' to my better half (that's Christa for now if you're wonderin'). And I'm gonna stay with stupid comments like; "HEY FEMME FASHIONISTA, DIDN'T I SEE THIS ON TV???"

Unknown said...

Spam, spam, spam n' eggs, spam, baked beans n' spam, spam, spam, pork n' spam, spam, fried eggs n' spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.

I have done all my spamming for today. That was just my little contribution.

Nice story by the way.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh..... Duckie is soooooo cute!

Restless Native said...

%$@$#@!! Stop encouraging her! Christa's attempts at humor are like shots on goal in hockey. Doesn't matter how many SUCK or are just plain AWFUL- the more you have, the better your chances!

The quality of posts have not improved. I am disappointed. I wonder if this is what purgatory is like.

In any case, we shall ALL have to wait (including myself) for the next installment of The London Murders. The lives of the poor, young, beautiful, Catholic girls of Londontown are now in Tracy's dire hands. Which of them will die next? What grisly manner will be their demise? Only ROSIE TRACER knows...

PS - I reserve the rights to kill Marcy and Kelly. I have something special planned.

Restless Native said...

PS - What idiot is now posting as various repulsive critters? Yes, I find cute little ducklings REPULSIVE.

Restless Native said...

I meant PPS on that last post. Not PS. I already used my PS plotting Marcy and Kelly's death.

So this is what spamming feels like.

Hmm. Strangely exhilirating.

Restless Native said...

Hey, if anyone wants to come down to the MEPS, I'll be here tonight until midnight. I'm serious. Look at the time stamp, you've got like 6 hours. Please. I'll put on a purple thing and dance around.

PPPPS - if you don't know what a MEPS is... I guess you can't come down.

Restless Native said...

By The Way: If you're a frog, duckling, anything shaded or hatted, or resemble a vortex in any fashion, you are not invited.

Anonymous said...

Can I come?

Purple is an intrinsically evil color, and the fact that you're willing to dance around in it indicates you're in desperate need of counselling.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to invite everyone to your place of employment so that they will ignore this blog post? Has there not been enough grovelling adulation to satisfy your enormous appetite? Do not be downcast, Danny boy! Remember, "A prophet is rejected and scorned in his own land." And also "A stumble may prevent a fall." And also, "Man who run in front of car get tired."





The purple thing still disturbs me. I'm phoning the President.

Restless Native said...

We have two options here at the MEPS: the doctor with the cold hands, and the doctor with the big hands.
The choice is yours!

Osama bin Laden said...

I’m comin’ down to MEP.

Why are the Members of the European Parliament in Oklahoma?
An invasion?

Disciple said...

I suppose this story was an improvement on Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek, Clear Creek!!!

Unknown said...

HEY!! I write nice stories, and I LIKE them! I think they're FUN. You go take a shower, and don't forget to get ALLLL the cooties off.

::STOMPS OFF IN DIRECTION OF MEPS::

Anonymous said...

Danny boy, I love this!
I can't wait to read the rest of it. On Sunday you were acting SO excited about killing us.
Why do you want to kill us so bad?

Tracy, You need to hurry and post the rest of it!
I think this is my favorite one so far. I'm glad you guys decided to write this. :)

Restless Native said...

Hey! Me and Imnrtist are hangin' here at the MEPS, and it's a ROCKIN' PARTY! WOOOHOOOO!

We got a disco ball, pumpkin-spice Braum's shakymilk, and ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD!

BTW, Shelley just joined the Marines! Semper Fi, Michelle!

Little Lizzie said...

Dan... I loved it! You did an awesome job and I am impressed by your writing. I am eager to read more! :)

Restless Native said...

Hey Marcy, I know this sucks, but some people are just more fun to kill than others! It's kind of a crappy attribute to have, but if the shoe fits...!

Unknown said...

HAHAHA!! I'm home again. Dan kicked me out of the MEPS after I was kicked out of the marines. They never knew one person could do so much damage in so little time. You know, I don't think Dan likes me very much. I'm not sure where I got that impression, but I think it was when my body hit the pavement outside the MEPS. My back still hurts.

Tracy said...

"If the shoe fits..." give it to Mary, 'cause you'll never see it again!!

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda scared to go to midnight mass, since Danny boy wants to kill me so bad. ;)

Tracy said...

::laughs:: I don't blame you, Marcy! I'm going to a different Midnight Mass, just to be safe!

Little Lizzie said...

That's true... But, at least they are still trying to figure us out! :)

Tracy said...

Okay, who is the cute little duck that is walking around quacking?

And does anybody else think that Froggy's froggy looks like he's being swirled in a bowl of yogurt, or cream, or *some*thing...?

Tracy said...

Okay, I'm sorry, Christa, but that is *so* not a hand.

Anonymous said...

No, I think it looks like yogurt, too.
Or maybe a frog in a pink sheet, or something...I dunno...

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to miss Midnight Mass 'cause of Danny boy.
That's my favorite part about Christmas. And I get to sing the Christmas Mass. I'm so excited!
Just remember, I can see everything from the choir loft. :)

Tracy said...

Okay.

Very cute. Very, very cute, I must admit.

But who are you?

Little Lizzie said...

It's you most dearly beloved friend, Tracy.

Tracy said...

My most dearly beloved friend?

Oh!

Okay!

Thanks!

Tracy said...

I have a question.

Tracy said...

Who is my most dearly beloved friend?

Little Lizzie said...

the only one that you have of course!

Disciple said...

I read the story again.
Apart from his cold and black soul, I see no other admirable traits in Jace Buntley.
He’s American.
*Why* really do they need to bring an American over to solve a crime?
I mean we’re talking Sherlock Holmes’ era here with carriages etc.
Really!