Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Paris In Winter ~ When Tracy Met Christa

Silly Christa, can you really have forgotten about our trip to Paris?

It must have been all of the wine you consumed.

Ah well. You have now forced me into reminding you, and into relating the story to the entire collection of interesting people who read this blog.

'Twas almost two years ago. Life had just come to be too much for me, so I decided to run away to Paris for a few days. So run I did. No plans, no thoughts, no telling anyone where I was going. I just jumped on a plane and left.

The first night in Paris I took a stroll down the Champs Elysee. It was beautiful. The sidewalks were bustling with activity. The trees which line the street were lighted up for Christmas. It was very cold. There were cafes everywhere. Everything Paris was supposed to be was all right in front of me. And I loved it.

As I was walking down the Champs Elysee, something quite odd captured my attention. A tall man in a chef's uniform. "Chocolate!" He was calling out at intervals.
"Chocolate!" And in his hands he held a tray of chocolates. Then I noticed there were quite a few of these men along the sidewalk, holding the trays out so that people could take what they wanted. And in front of one young man--a young girl. Perhaps 16 years old. Perhaps 35. It was hard to tell.

"Chocolates!" The man yelled out. And she took one. But she didn't eat it.
"Chocolates!" He yelled again. And she took one. But she didn't eat it.
"Chocolates!" He yelled, stepping slightly to the right. He seemed to be ignoring her, except for the fact that his eyes dropped to her upturned face, though his face was turned from her. She then stepped to the right also, and took one. But she didn't eat it.
"Chocolates!" He yelled once more, this time turning his back to the girl. But she simply stepped in front of him again and took another chocolate--gazing into his face the whole time. She ate this chocolate. She ate the chocolate, and just stared at the man in the chef's hat. And he stared back at her through half-closed eyes.

I was terribly amused watching this silent exchange, and I wondered how long the Chocolate Holder was going to put up with her behavior. I also wondered how long she had been there in the first place.

Moments passed. She continued to stand there, patiently looking up at him, and every time he called out "chocolate", she obediently took one. Sometimes she ate it, sometimes she put it in her pocket, and sometimes she turned and handed it to some passing stranger. All of this the French chef took with little more than a veiled glance her way. Until she placed a chocolate back on the tray.

"What are you doing?! They do not go back once they go off!" He did not seem to know how to deal with this young lady.
She just continued to look up at him with her big, soulful brown eyes, not saying a word. It seems this had a calming effect on the man, for he just stared down at her.
"Well, now," he said. "What iz it?"
"Your hat." It was stated clearly and matter-of-factly.
"My HAT?"
"Yes. You see, I've lost mine, and after studying yours for a while, I have decided that you are indeed wearing my hat." She held her hand out. "May I have it, please?"
The man reached up and took the hat from his head. He studied it himself, and then looked from one Chocolate Holder's hat to another, and then down at his own. Indeed, there was a slight difference. With a shrug of his shoulders, and a confused look in his eyes, he handed the hat over.
"Merci!" She called out, smiling brightly. And away she walked, the chef's hat sitting high on her head.

I had to follow her. I could hardly contain my laughter and my curiosity. I was just about to quicken to my steps to catch up with her, with the intention of asking about her hat, when she suddenly stopped in front of another Chocolate Holder. I stopped also, eager to see what she would do now.

"Chocolates!" He yelled out. And she took one.
"Chocolates!" He yelled out. And again she took one.
"Chocolates! Chocolates! Chocolates!" She took three, then, turning, saw me standing there, and gave me two. But she turned right back to the man and didn't say a word. Just stood there looking up at him.

I studied the man. Surely she didn't want his hat. She'd already found one. What, then, could she want? I didn't know. Had no idea. I began to weary of standing in the cold watching people eat chocolates, so I walked across the street to a cafe, where I could sit, get a drink, be warm, and watch the girl. For many moments she stood there, eating chocolates, saving chocolates, and passing out chocolates. After a while, the patient Frenchman had pretty much the same reaction the other one had. I couldn't hear what they were saying to each other, but I dearly wished that I had stayed to listen when I saw the Chocolate Holder take off a pair of sunglasses and hand them to the girl. Again, she smiled brightly and turned to walk away. But, just as she was about to disappear out of my sight, she turned and looked straight toward me. Still smiling, she put her sunglasses on, straightened her hat, and raised her hand and waved at me. Then she was gone.

I ran into her a couple of nights later, and absolutely nothing was explained, but we did go on to have quite another adventure. But that's another story.

There now, Christa. Do you remember differently? I hope not, for if you do, I shall have to get my friend Billy and we shall have to accuse you of having been drunk. For, after all, you were wearing a hat.

;)

47 comments:

Tracy said...

Ah, yes, I believe this story calls for a disclaimer.

Disclaimer: This story may or may not be true. It may or may not have ever happened. It may or may not be based on true stories. It may or may not be based on real life characters.

There we go. Christa may add her own disclaimer if she should so choose.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CHRISTA EVEN MORE NOW!!!

Anonymous said...

*Why* are these people wearing sunglasses at *night*?

Tracy said...

*Because* it *fit* in with the *story*

Any more questions?

Anonymous said...

Why not? Sunglasses aren't really worn for utility, they're a fashion statement.

Sometimes, they're to protect the inferior population from being traumatized by the piercing, insane gaze of the besunglassed.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE DON'T CRY!!! It's like when the grinch's heart swelled and swelled and swelled. Get it? So that's why I said I love you MORE...

Disciple said...

qwThis is my favourite story to date.
The biggest lie is that the French are conveyed as being patient. The French have no virtues, least of all patience. That’s why you shouldn’t have walked down the Champs Elysee all by yourself.
Immigration control seems very lax too.
I guess Christa has a bedroom all to herself. Otherwise, all those hats and sunglasses would drive her roommate beserk.

Little Lizzie said...

Mr. Briody, if I go to Ireland next year, will you come and meet me?.... I will bring beautiful pictures of Tracy if you do..... :)

Disciple said...

Elizabethhhhhhhh,
Tempting offer. We could draw whiskers on the photos of Tracy.
So, after we meet. What then? Do you expect ME to show you around?
Ireland isn’t as small as Americans think it is and it is quite costly to get around.
With God’s grace, we might all have died by then.

Little Lizzie said...

Well, no. I am hoping to go on the Chartres pilgrimage next year and they are going to spend six days in Ireland. So, I thought, if I am there already, then I could meet you and fill you in on all of the juicy stories about Tracy. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmm..For some reason that reminds me of a story you and Ashley told us after you guys went to France.

Marcy

Unknown said...

Okay, that was funny, and so were all the comments. woho, yippee, nice.

Sorry that I'm not in more of an exited mood, but I have to go to "Stress" tommorow. Ugh. I very much dislike going there. I would say that I hate going there, but that is such a strong word, and I really don't wish anyone harm..... Okay maybe a few people, but only a little bit of harm. You know, like if they died so I wouldn't have to work there anymore. But don't get me wrong, I'd certainly hope that they made it straight to purgatory.

PS. Just kidding. I would never go to such extremes to keep from working there. It really is very stressfull though. And oh so charitable if I could manage to do it with the right attitude, but THAT is the tricky part.
Tootles, Clanky

Tracy said...

::giggles:: Marcy, it may have been *slightly* influenced by the trip Ashley and I took to Paris...only that trip was a little more fun!! And the chocolate men gave us a whole tray of chocolate, then told us it was a secret. Gosh, that night was fun....

Shelley, I hope stress goes well for you today, and doesn't stress you out as much as you thought it might. ;)

Beth and John, quit talking about me.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, Okay. Paris sounds like so much fun. We should go. We would have soooo much fun!

Little Lizzie said...

She is talking about "Disiple" Mason. His REAL name is John.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth,
I'm going to Ireland too. That will be so cool!

Disciple said...

We?

Wait a minute. Lizzie didn;t mention anyone else!

demubvq

Little Lizzie said...

Are you trying to get sponsored too, Marcy? That would be awesome! :)

Well, John, I might let a few friends tag along but, I might just go meet you by myself too. I will let you know if I will be able to meet you... ha ha ha.... I have so many stories that I could tell you about Tracy, you would have enough to tease her for the rest of her life!!!! ;-)

Don't you just love me Tracy?

ha ha ha ha......

Disciple said...

"TTTHHHBBBTTTHHH" is a new phrase to me. I like it.

njvczl

Little Lizzie said...

Whatever, Ginny! I am the one going to Ireland, I gave you the idea to get sponsored to go to Ireland and it was MY idea to go meet John.... Therefore, YOU will be tagging along. You wouldn't even know about the Remnant going to Ireland this year if it wasn't for me!!!!!

Disciple said...

The blogs are so quiet tonight.

Why Ireland Lizzie?
The Church has just collapsed and we have nothing to offer the world anymore except an exemplary social welfare system.

Sad really. But then some people thrive on depression.

Disciple said...

I do wish people wouldn’t interrupt when Lizzie and I are having a conversation.
It’s exceedingly rude.

Little Lizzie said...

Why Ireland?? Because Ireland is like the coolest place in the whole world!!! It is so beautiful and the Irish accent is awesome. That is why Ireland. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there.

Unknown said...

Well how exactly SHOULD he take it Gin? 'Cause I certainly don't know.

Little Lizzie said...

Whatever.... You are interrupting John's and I's conversation!!!

Do we really have to put up with this, John? Maybe we should take our conversation elsewhere. ;-)

Disciple said...

Offence was taken Irish P.
They don’t get any hotter than I am!

Liz,
These lassies are jealous of you. You must be very pretty or something.
But shouldn’t that have been “John and MY conversation”.

Disciple said...

Tracy:

A recent quotation I stumbled across:
“I love Paris. There are certain cities where you can only have a good time with the help of the residents and there are others where a good time is available to all. Such is Paris, which is just as well given the amount of help one generally gets from the residents”.

It clarified for me how it MIGHT be possible to like anything vaguely associated with the French.
I thought you should know.

:-)

Little Lizzie said...

You are correct Mr. Briody. I mean, you are correct about I should have said "John's and MY conversation." I noticed that after I posted it but, I was feeling too lazy to correct it.... So, I just left it that way. But, you are so kind to point it out for me. ;-)

Disciple said...

You’re going to have to conquer that humility if you want to come to Ireland, your prettiness.

Disciple said...

But the “lazy” part will make you feel quite at home.

And the “you are correct” part was pretty good.

Yes, I think there is potential here.

Little Lizzie said...

::laughs:: Yes, I believe so.

::giggles::

Disciple said...

Do you like rain and grey skys?
One of the things I like most about America was the blue sky.

Little Lizzie said...

Well, I don't really like them because... It rather depresses me. But, I'm sure I could get used to it. ;-)

Disciple said...

We have a song from a local Musical, which goes something like this:

Oh, what a dreary grey morrrrning,
Oh what a dreary grey day.
I’ve got a dreary grey feeling,
Death is the o-on-ly waaayyy.

Tracy said...

You made that up!

Unknown said...

Didn't you recognize the tune Tracy?

Oh what a beautiful Mooornin'
Oh what a beautiful day
I've got a beautiful feeelinnn'
Everythins goin' my wayyyyy

See? Of COURSE he made it up.

Disciple said...

[Says in polite voice]
Excuse me people.

[Roars]
THE SONG WAS FOR LIZZIE.

[Normal voice]
It is an authentic song from “Chokedinacoma”

Little Lizzie said...

Well, I have seen pictures of Ireland and all of the pictures ARE beautiful but, I know what you mean about them being very dreary and grey. Perhaps I shall live in Amarica, but, visit Ireland once or twice a year...?

Unknown said...

Well, if you want to write any MORE songs for Lizzie and expect only HER to comment on them, then you had better send it to her in an e-mail.

Geeze, you'd think he wasn't writing on a very PUBLIC blog.

Disciple said...

Liz,
I've never been to Amarica. What are the immigration staff like?

Imnrtist,
If I told you once, I told you a hundred times:
DON'T INTERUPT.
This is MY blog.

Disciple said...

Yes.
Besides ncsjnes of course.

Little Lizzie said...

OH.... I am a dork. Okay.... Why do you have to point out ALL of my mistakes? Gosh... Okay, perhaps I shall live in AMERICA and visit Ireland once or twice a year.

Gosh, you take a like in vexing me.

Disciple said...

You don't make THAT many mistakes, so if I point out the few you do make, *I* will make you perfect.
I've given up on myself, you see.

Little Lizzie said...

::laughs:: okay, I guess I will let you correct me then. :)

Tracy said...

John. You are flirting with my sister. Ew. Stop.

Disciple said...

Flirting? Noooooo. It’s called fraternal correction, or at least that what I’m told it’s called when people preach at me.
I’m starting with the least imperfect of the Robinson family, you see!!
At any rate, I’ve decided to be a bachelor and see my family safely into extinction. Although a son or daughter, just like me would be nice, and my dog could do with some more company. But these are the crosses of bachelorhood.

Unknown said...

I believe that you most likely WILL end you days as a bachelor John. No doubt about it.